الأربعاء، 25 سبتمبر 2019

Carles Puyol turns down Barcelona sporting director job

The Best FIFA Football Awards 2019 - Show Photo by Claudio Villa/Getty Images

The former defender confirmed he was offered the post

Carles Puyol has publicly revealed that he was offered but ultimately turned down the role of Barcelona’s sporting director. In a Twitter thread, the former defender said “after thinking it through, I have decided not to accept the club’s offer.”

Puyol said he felt compelled to speak out after reports linking him to the job reached the media.

“It wasn’t an easy decision, given that I have always said that I would like to return to what I consider my home, but different personal projects in which I find myself immersed in impede me at this moment from giving the exclusive dedication that the post deserves,” he said.

The club’s president, Josep Maria Bartomeu, had earlier publicly confirmed they were negotiating terms to bring in the legendary former captain as a replacement for the departing Pep Segura.

Puyol was the team’s longest-serving captain and won everything for club and country.

After retiring, he was appointed as then-sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta’s assistant. However, he resigned less than a year later after “Zubi” was fired from the job.



from Barca Blaugranes - All Posts https://ift.tt/2mKQ82o

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

.