الأحد، 30 مايو 2021

De Jong admits Barca’s season was not good enough

SD Eibar v FC Barcelona - La Liga Santander
Photo by Cristian Trujillo/Quality Sport Images/Getty Images

The Dutchman says he takes the blame for the campaign

Frenkie de Jong has been talking about Barcelona’s 2020-21 season and offered his thoughts on what was an eventful campaign for the Catalan giants.

Ronald Koeman’s side suffered a poor start but recovered and went on to win the Copa del Rey and end up in the fight for the title.

However, a poor end to the campaign saw the team’s double dreams disappear, and De Jong says it was simply not good enough.

“I can hardly put a mark on it, but I give myself no more than half a point higher than last season. Also because I think that we as a team, despite a revival, ultimately did not perform well. You want to become a champion at Barcelona. We won the cup, nice, but in the end it is not enough. I also blame myself for that.”

De Jong also offered his thoughts on Koeman and, unsurprisingly, made it clear he is hoping the 58-year-old stays on in charge at the Camp Nou.

“I personally hope that Koeman stays. I have a good relationship with him. But I don’t have much influence on that, I think. I also just have to wait and see what happens,” he said.

“Simply because Barcelona is one of the biggest clubs in Spain. You are always expected to become a champion. By the press and the public, but as a player you want that too. If you fail then, you have not done well in people’s eyes. That’s how it works.”

Source | Algemeen Dagblad

The Barcelona midfielder was one of the team’s better performers last season and emerged as a key figure playing in both midfield and defense when needed.

The midfielder is now with the Netherlands squad for the Euros after joining up with the national team on Sunday after enjoying a few days off after the end of the season.



from Barca Blaugranes - All Posts https://ift.tt/3i4Edqw

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

.