الأربعاء، 27 ديسمبر 2023

Pena reveals how Xavi convinced him to sign new Barca deal

Valencia CF v FC Barcelona - LaLiga EA Sports
Photo by Pedro Salado/Getty Images

The goalkeeper did have offers to leave

Inaki Pena has been talking about life at Barcelona and how he thinks he can go on and become the team’s first choice goalkeeper.

The youngster is enjoying a spell in the first team due to Marc-Andre ter Stegen’s back injury and after signing a contract extension until 2026 in the summer.

Pena, who had offers to move elsewhere in the summer, reveals why he decided to stay at Camp Nou despite having Ter Stegen ahead of him in the pecking order.

“When Xavi arrived I’d been in the reserves for several years and was the first team’s third choice keeper. He felt I had the potential to play for the first team and he wanted to me to get playing time somewhere else.

“He helped me to get the loan deal with Galatasaray. He thought I did well and when I returned he told me he thought I was ready to compete with Marc. That’s why I signed a new contract last season.”

Pena will have to drop back down to the bench when Ter Stegen returns from injury but does have his eye on the German’s spot in the team.

“We all want to play. That’s why we train. If you are happy being a second choice goalkeeper than that is what you will always be,” he added.

“I know my place in this team, but if one day I become the first choice, so much the better.”

Source | FC Barcelona

The goalkeeper will continue between the sticks for now, with Ter Stegen not expected to return from injury until February.



from Barca Blaugranes - All Posts https://ift.tt/aLhSM1k

0 التعليقات:

إرسال تعليق

.